Friday, 12 September 2008

Alien on the school run















This strange looking creature was sitting on the wall at the front of Robin's school, the nasty looking black spike on its tail causing much consternation.

7 comments:

Elaine said...

Ooooh we saw one like that a few weeks ago - T was most impressed at the GIANT caterpillar (lovely photo too!)

Claire Young said...

Have you any idea what sort of caterpillar it is? Some other parents reckoned it was for a moth but that's still not very specific.

Claire Young said...

Actually, I now think it's a Privet Hawk-moth caterpillar. http://www.warrenphotographic.co.uk/mdh/03200.htm .

Found a very sad story from a local paper website about a woman who really did think the black horn might hurt her children so flushed one of these down a toilet. I did encourage my two not to touch yesterday, but more because of what they might do to it!

Sheena said...

Just googled and came up with Hawk Moth!
It's a great photo, better than a lot I just trawled through!

Peeriemoot said...

That's a fantastic picture! Caterpillars round here are much more boring than that!

Maxine Moss said...

Yes it's a hawk moth!
And the best picture of one I've ever seen...

Claire Young said...

Thanks for all the lovely comments. It did pose very nicely for me. I think the lollipop man thought I was a bit odd photographing it rather than running away!